Nov 5

40-year-old Jeremy Hedrick of Gloucester was charged with manslaughter in connection with a fatal accident on Oct. 27. The wreck occurred north of Willis Road, a pickup driven by Hedrick was traveling at a high rate of speed when it slammed into the rear of a 1986 Chevrolet Blazer. The Blazer overturned, with both occupants of the vehicle ejected, Donald Durham of Gloucester Durham and his teenage daughter. Durham died of his injuries on Monday and his daughter remains hospitalized. Hedrick was arrested Friday night and placed in the Gloucester County Jail,

27-year-old Nicole Combs of Newport News was charged with child neglect after a 3-year-old boy was found wandering alone at the intersection of Michael Irvin Drive and Flowers Terrace on Wednesday. A resident found the child walking unattended and unharmed, the child’s female caretaker and father told police conflicting stories on how the child was left alone.
Dominion Virginia Power is joining with other utilities from around the country to help power companies in the Northeast recover from Superstorm Sandy. The Richmond-based energy provider says it has offered nearly 1,500 workers to assist in the restoration effort in New York and New Jersey, including linemen, tree trimmers, storm damage patrollers and underground cable workers. The company said that crews headed out Friday immediately after restoring power to all 322,000 of its customers affected by the storm.
The aircraft carrier USS Enterprise arrived home at Naval Station Norfolk Sunday, ending a journey that began more than half a century ago at the Newport News shipyard. 74 year-old Bill Falls of Hampton was among two crew members of the original Enterprise who came along for the final leg of the trip, boarding in Florida. He was a 22-year-old sailor when Enterprise was commissioned in 1961 as the world’s first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier. The Navy will inactivate the ship next month prior to its decommissioning.
A Portsmouth bail bondsman has been sentenced to 2.5 years in prison for bribing a former magistrate who steered clients his way. Federal prosecutors say 51-year-old Ulysses Stephenson was sentenced Friday in U.S. District Court in Norfolk. According to court documents, Stephenson gave cash and gifts to former Portsmouth magistrate Deborah Clark in exchange for referring clients to him and sought his advice for what bail to set for defendants. Clark was sentenced earlier this month to one year and one day in prison.
Police are investigating the firing of shots and the assault of a city officer during a campus mixer early Saturday morning at Mary Baldwin College in Staunton. Police and college officials say no one was hit by the shots. Crista Cabe, the college’s vice president for public relations said it is believed that those involved in the incident, the assault on a police officer and the firing of shots were male guests of students at the college. The incident is still under investigation

November 5, 2012 |

Comments are closed.