Authorities discovered a man and woman dead inside a home ion Old Concord Road Saturday evening in an apparent murder-suicide. The man and woman have not been identified until their families have been notified, both of the deceased individuals had gunshot wounds. There was no signs of forced entry at the address however an investigation into the deaths is ongoing.
City officials failed to answer questions this week about whether money is still flowing out of a checking account for an undercover cigarette operation — a police sting that was shut down nearly 10 months ago. City Manager Mary Bunting told the Daily Press several weeks ago that the account was frozen in January after former Hampton Police Chief Jordan shut the operation down due to an officer misconduct complaint related to officer spending. Money coming out of the account appears to be automated utility bill payments for a building the city hasn’t used in months.
The Virginia Department of Transportation is making it easier for Thanksgiving travelers to reach their destinations. Most lane closures on major highways will be suspended from noon Nov. 21 until noon Nov. 26. However, long-term construction zones will remain. The agency says it also has created and posted online maps showing expected periods of heavy traffic on interstates. Travelers likely will encounter the heaviest congestion on Nov. 25 in the afternoon and evening.
Newport News police said a 13-year-old boy was shot to death Sunday evening. Another boy, 15, of Hampton, was also found shot in the arm at the scene of 31st Street and Orcutt Avenue. He was transported to the hospital with injuries that were considered non-life-threatening. There was no suspect information immediately available.
A man lost his legs after he was struck by a train on Hampton Boulevard in Norfolk early Saturday. About 4 a.m., a man on foot tried to beat a train crossing the tracks but was hit, lost both legs and was taken to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital with life-threatening injuries. As of Saturday afternoon, the victim was in critical but stable condition. An investigation is under way, the injured man’s name has not been released.
The Innocence Project has joined the effort to free a man who is serving a prison term for a sexual assault the woman now says never happened. Jonathan Montgomery was convicted of sexually assaulting a neighbor when he was 14 and she was 10, Montgomery was sentenced to 7 1/2 years in prison. Earlier this month, Hampton Circuit Judge Randolph T. West tossed Montgomery’s felony convictions and ordered him released from prison. But when relatives went to pick Montgomery up at the prison in Jarratt, they learned Attorney General Kenneth Cuccinelli’s office had declared the order invalid because the judge lacked jurisdiction.